Have you ever searched for a recipe, found the perfect one, but had to scroll through a huge wall of text just to get to it? We never understood that. And yet, here we are… Sitting in front of the computer, filling up this blank page one word at a time, and wanting to write anything and everything that comes to mind.
Must. Fight. The. Urge.
So let’s cut to the chase. Why are you reading a pie recipe on an Australian craft brewery’s website? Well, we recently released Read Between the Limes, a Lime Berliner Weisse that’s zingy, bright, and the cruisy companion for maximum relaxation.
As you can see in the photo above, we used a lot of limes as props for this shoot. What you can’t see is about 10 more limes sitting offscreen. And what do you do when you have 15 limes that you don’t want to put to waste? Make a Read Between the Limes Berliner Weisse Pie, of course!
Brewery, bakery — what’s the difference? A lot, it turns out. Since the pie has successfully been made, we can confidently say “YUM!”, but at first we weren’t so sure. Definitely a trust-the-process experience. We may not be bakers, but we’re pretty great eaters, so you can take our word on this one.
Here’s what you’ll need for your Read Between the Limes Berliner Weisse Pie:
For the crust:
8 Marie Arnotts Biscuits
8 Shredded Wholemeal Arnotts Biscuits
⅓ cup caster sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the lime pie filling:
½ cup lime juice
½ cup Read Between the Limes Berliner Weisse
1 and ½ cups sweetened condensed milk
5 large egg yolks
For the whipped topping:
1 cup thickened cream
4 tablespoons pure icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 175°C
2. Place Marie and Shredded Wholemeal biscuits in a large ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, crush and roll biscuits into a small sand-like consistency. If you don’t have a rolling pin, you can use an unopened can of chickpeas, like we may or may not have done…
3. Combine the Arnotts Biscuit crumbs and caster sugar in a large bowl and mix. Add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and the crumbs are moistened.
4. Scoop the mixture into a 20cm x 5cm circular cake pan. Press crumbs down into an even layer on the bottom and sides of the cake pan.
5. Bake at 175°C for 10 - 15 minutes. Keep an eye on this. Don’t burn it! No pressure.
6. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
For the filling:
1. Combine the Read Between the Limes Berliner Weisse, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined.
2. Pour into the Arnotts Biscuits crust and spread around into an even layer.
3. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until the top of the pie is set. It will still be jiggly.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool, before transferring into the fridge for five. Long. Hours.
For the whipped topping (wait until pie is ready to serve before making):
1. Combine thickened cream, pure icing sugar and vanilla extract into a large bowl.
2. Use a whisk to combine ingredients.
3. Get a hand cramp two minutes into whisking.
4. Switch to a handheld mixer (handheld blender also works well), and mix until it looks like whipped cream.
5. Put on top of the pie, along with lime zest. Serve. Enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Live Well Bake Often's "Easy Key Lime Pie".